Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I Need Africa More Than Africa Needs Me

A few years ago, I got involved with the Mocha Club. Recently, I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why ‘I need Africa more than Africa needs me.’ Mocha Club [www.mochaclub.org] is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa.

At first, this concept seems backward... doesn't Africa need me? Aren't the African people in despair? Yes, but they have something that I don't. They have faith, and they have an optimism and a hope I could only dream of having.
What Africa means to me is a new way of world thinking. We need to stop over-analyzing the little things and look at the bigger picture. We need to start embracing the positive and letting go of the negative. What this means for me is that people, myself included, need to stop saying "I can't" and start doing. We CAN make a difference- look at Mocha Club. We HAVE made a difference, and we can keep going, keep helping.


I need Africa because I need a way to make sure that people act humanly and help others rather than complain about the things that they can't ha
ve. I can't afford the latest trends or the new iPod or computer or an Ivy League education, but I can afford $7 a month to save someone's life. I can give up drinking two mochas a month to ensure people get clean drinking water, that children get to go to school, that refugees of sex slavery have somewhere safe to live. I can do that. You can, too.

I need Africa because I need to see human kindness. I need to see an interaction that is worthwhile, that makes a difference in someone's life, puts a smile on someone's face. Africa fulfills this need.


So what do you think? Please post your comments, I would love to get a conversation started and see what other thoughts people have about Africa. Or, even better than a comment, post your own blog about it if you'd like!
Join in the worthwhile cause of recasting the damaging images that force pity over partnership. Come back Dec 1st to see what Mocha Club is doing about reforming that image. Thanks in advance for your time!


http://mochaclub.org
http://mochaclub.org/joinme/makeanimpact

No comments: